Sunday, February 21, 2010

You Can Always Rely On The Post by John Townsend

There was a time when you could count on the post, it would fall threw your letter box almost the same time everyday. Oh here we go, the 'in my day' recycle. But none the less it is true.
Last week I recieved an extraordinary letter, I just opened it and read, it was addressed to me, never looked at the date.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------


Bourbon Solictitors
Telford Buildings
Ash Road
Telford


14 september 1919

Dear Mr. Andrew Walsh,

It has come to our attention that you are the sole surviving benifactor of the Ewart Much estate.. Ewart Much died with no direct decendants, however our records show that in years to come, there would be an heir through an illigitamte child, of which we had no knowledge of at the time. The estate will be held in trust as Ewart Much decided it would be, until an heir could be found.
According to our records you might be that heir to the $5 million sum held with us.
It would be apprieciated if you could meet with me at the public entrance to The House of Commons in London August 27 2009, at 10.30 am. I will know who you are from a picture I have been sent.

Yours Sincerly

James Bourbon

---------------------------------------------------------------------------


I handed the letter to my wife to read, 'Here take a look at this letter .' I said.
As she read it she creased up laughing, 'Its a joke, look at the date.' she told me. With great disappointment I did take a look, '14 September 1919, thats strange?' Jill just laughed saying, 'Its not strange its a joke.'
I did not tell Jill that I took a day off work to go to meet this James Bourbon, she would have though I was mad, or worse. Well I am glad I did.
I was there at 10 am, in plenty of time, there was a cue forming to go into The House of Commons so I stepped to one side, as I did a man tapped me on the shoulder. 'Andrew Walsh! I am James Bourbon, shall we have tea sir?' he asked. I was astounded as he was dressed in clothes that were not of this time, and people were looking.
I followed him to a fast food place across the road, as we crossed the busy road he said, 'I must say it is a lot cleaner than my time, packed with wretched horse droppings it be, this is so much better.'
He had a Mexican Burger which he seemed to enjoy so much I ordered another.
'Now let me explain' he said. 'Ewart Much was an engineer with a difference, he invented a machine that he said could take people to the future. However he was not sure if it could take them back.'
He paused to take a bite of his burger. 'Well he would be pleased to know it does take you back, he left it to me in his will and I have used it on several investigations, highly useful. Now in your case, you have inherited a great sum of money, It was deposited in the trustee account with The National Bank in New York, That has changed hands a few times but I checked today and it is valued at $98 billion, so you are a very rich man.' He handed me some papers and asked me to sign them. He then passed me a letter of authority. As he finished his burger he stood up, shook my hand and said, 'May I wish you well, it has been a pleasure meeting you and tasting this? burger. You will have to go to New York to open the account, in it are some documents and a letter from Ewart Much. I am sorry but this time machine only allows for two hour stays, so I must leave, do take care sir.' With that he hurried away, leaving me clutching this letter of authority.
I followed him out of the fast food place as he hurried along the pavement. He stopped by the roadside and seemed to be arguing with a traffic warden who was sticking a parking ticket on what looked like a metal box. I continude to watch as Mr. Bourbon stepped into the box through a door at the rear. A minut later, much to the traffic wardens shock, the black metal box just disappeared.
I did tell Jill what had happened and we both flew to New York. We presented ourselves at the National Bank and found ourselves to suddenly have become celebraties. News people appeared, television interviews, it was all true, I had become a very rich man, by default I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment