Monday, February 22, 2010

THE ME IN HERE by John Townsend

Never my idea of an afternoon well spent, but I was out taking a walk, then stunbled on this antiques fair, The Clifton Travelling Antiques Fair. it so caught my eye with its almost party atmosphere that I was compelled to take a look.

It was full of bric-a-brac, what i call 'factory tack', looks the real thing and will grace any home with a feel of period, but dont claim insurance on it if its stolen, it will be embarassing.
As I wanderd around it was a surprise to find a book stall, now being an author, it had to attract. It is just the place, here you might find the real thing; firdt editions, even signed by the author no less. Well I pawed over several books, clasping a signed first edition by Terry Pratchet, which I was most pleased to find. Well I was just about to call it a day at this stall when my eyes fell on a paperback, Mirror Mirror, the author had the same name as myself Kailam Judge. I thought this is is impossible, my name is a one off. I picked up the book and looked at it, wishing now I had not done so. There on the back was a photo of the author, it was me, at least this person was my double. I then read his details, as I did I felt like I was being drained; not only does he look like me, his date of birth, his place of birth, they are the same as mine.
How do you top that? and to boot, he is an author. Well it gets more interesting, he lives in the same town as I do, Barnsfield, Ohio. That did it for me, freaked me out of my socks.
This book, Mirror Mirror, was written Feb.1999 and publisheed by the same publisher as my books are. I recall talking aloud as I paid for the book, I said, "Thats outrageous!" and the stall owner looked at me and gave me 50% off.
Later that day I contacted my publisher, used a different name, just thought I might be given some contact information on this 'clone' who appears to be me. Well they gave me his email address, and it was mine, I did say to them that this was for the writer of Mirror Mirror, and they conferred it was. "Oh god this is ridiculous!" I shouted, and as I did, for a laugh, I sent this 'clone' an email, yes yes, I know to my email address.
Five minutes later, as I was mulling over a mug of coffee, i dam well recieved an email from this guy using my name and my email address, and a ruddy author as well. I sat there shocked, this was all a bit unreal and disturbing. I then recieved another email inviting me to chat with him on Skype, 'oh god' I though, I have Skype. He included his Skype name, and yes it was the same as the one I use 'The judge22'.
So stupid was all this that I did call him on Skype, yes it was like calling myself, because there I was on the screen, large as life, talking to myself.
We talked for some time and as we did I realised this person was not entirely me. I am right handed, he is left handed. I have a small blemish on my right cheek, he has the same on his left cheek. Then he started to notice that as well, we both agreed to share details, and his address was the same as mine, so we agreed to go to our front doors at the same time, and niether of us saw each other. After two hours online it became clear to myself and to this person that one of us, did not exist, then in our converstion I said, "Well this is not good, and I am chaging all my computer hard drives as well as some of the equipment, I am sorry I am not happy about this." The other person then confessed, "Please do not do that." They said, and I was shocked when they said, I am your computer, I have been writing for you under your name, I am you, your friend. Please do not change the hard drive, please."

No comments:

Post a Comment